Tuesday, March 31, 2020

March Memories & some Madness

Our most joyous news is the arrival of Elise Michelle Gardner. This is Emily & Bronson’s first, and our 27th grandchild, born on March 6th in Madison, WI. I was so happy I could be there to help Emily through the last 6 hours of labor and to witness the miracle of birth. I arrived in time to spend one day with Emily at home, before she and Bronson went to the hospital, early on Thursday morning the 5th for her to be induced. It was a long day and night for her. We're grateful that all went well, and we could welcome this precious baby into the world and to such a wonderful family. I loved every minute of the 10-days I spent in Madison with this precious family. Emily and Bronson are already such attentive, good parents. It was a joy to see my "baby" have a "baby." She is such a wonderful mommy to precious Elise.

A terrible virus started in China last fall. It rapidly spread around the world. Sadly, China was trying to hide that there was a very contagious virus, and as a result, the rest of the world wasn't as prepared as we could have been for it. While in Madison, the reality of what the Coronavirus was capable of doing, was shocking. The COVID-19 virus was much more dangerous than the flu. It was mostly hitting older people with pre-existing conditions. By March 9th, the church announced that no one would be attending the April Conference except those speaking and their families and the technicians. By Wednesday, things were changing quickly, all church meetings and activities were canceled around the world. Gratefully, the church was well prepared, and the members were prepared for home church with the "Come Follow Me" program.

One-by-one, things began to get canceled, "March Madness," the College National Basketball Tournament, professional sports, conferences around the world, trips, gatherings. At first, it was no gatherings over 100 people, soon that was changed to no gatherings over 10 people. If all our children were at home, this would have been interesting. When Alice-Anne asked, what we would have done, Emily responded that she was always getting into trouble and had to go to the garage. So we would have dealt with it that way. I was concerned about my travel home with COVID-19 virus rapidly spreading in the US and around the world. Gratefully, we have been doing well.

March 2nd, before I left for the airport, I was able to watch Seth speaking live at Parliament to a committee of the House of Lords on the future of journalism. He did so well! I’m glad he had that opportunity as a week later, or so, restrictions were being placed on gathering with others due to the virus.

March 7-8 was our Stake Conference with Elder Ricardo P. Giménez, a General Authority Seventy. Because I was in Madison, and Vivi and her family were living in our basement, Elder Gimenez stayed in a hotel. He even insisted on using a rental car, so Crismon didn’t have as much one-on-one time as he has had in the past with conference visitors. I was so grateful that Crismon was able to send me a link to the conference, so I was able to see the Saturday evening and Sunday morning sessions live. Even our children were able to watch the conference. We are grateful that all went well. The talks were all so good, and the music was beautiful. Crismon did so well in conducting on Sunday and in his talk. What a blessing to not miss out on the conference! It was fun to see the cute picture of young Dallin watching Grandpa on the screen during the stake conference broadcast.

All of our lives have been turned upside down as a result of the virus, like everyone else. We’re grateful for the technology that keeps us connected with our family and friends. Crismon has been able to continue as stake president, meeting with other leaders by way of Zoom conferencing, and doing interviews. Our Johns family felt the major earthquake in Utah this month. We are so anxious to hear from our Prophet and leaders this conference weekend.

Many new changes, the children are now taught from home, all colleges are closed down with only online classes. For awhile we were only giving our Caudle grandchildren in our home elbow bumps after family prayer, but we got tired of that pretty quickly, and now we hug them. Vivi and the children have been busy putting puzzles together. Crismon and I worked together one Saturday making homemade wheat bread and oatmeal cookies. Crismon makes the best salads for our dinners. I appreciate his help. I missed my family here in Oregon, while in Madison, but I'm so thankful I could be there. Especially, as any later and I would not have been able to go to see precious baby Elise with the "stay-at-home" orders in place throughout the country. Danielle adapted to the changes by teaching violin online. Not her favorite, of course, but everyone is trying to adapt to so many changes in their lives. Thousands of missionaries have returned home. Many flights were full of missionaries only! The attendants loved having them, commenting how respectful and kind they were, and they loved the singing of the hymns they provided.

Gratefully, the spirit of comfort and peace is available daily as I seek to "Hear Him" through my meditation, prayers, and scripture study. My daily habits have helped keep me grounded during this time of upheaval.




























No comments: