Sunday, November 27, 2016

Baby Claire

One of my favorite things to do is to help my daughters, or daughter-in-laws with their new babies. It had been nearly two years since we had a new grandchild in our family, so going to Utah in November to help Alice-Anne was a special time for me. Not knowing exactly when the baby would come, I had booked 5 flights going to Salt Lake on Southwest Airlines and 3 returning flights. I purchased the flights through points, and then cancelled them as I didn't need them. Alice-Anne and I both felt good about me flying down on November 12th. I arrived that Saturday evening and was welcomed in with lots of love, attention, and of course, Gary's (or Alice-Anne's) yummy homemade bread. When I came up for breakfast on Sunday morning Gary informed me that Alice-Anne was resting as she was having lots of contractions and they were consistent. She wanted to make it to the children's performance in the Primary Sacrament Meeting program. So, although she was uncomfortable being in the early stages of labor, she made it to meetings to see her cute children say their parts and sing with the Primary children. It was wonderful to be there for that sweet time as well.

After a long labor all day Sunday and into the early hours of Monday, Alice-Anne gave birth to a beautiful baby girl, Claire Myreel Johns, weighing 7 lb. 10 oz., 21 inches long, at 2:13 am, born in Murray, UT. They didn't know ahead the gender, so it was very exciting to learn it was a girl. All the kids were over-the-top with excitement, especially Kenna. She was thrilled to have a sister. I hurried to get the children ready for school and then we drove to the hospital to welcome cute Claire into the family. It was an incredible experience for me to see her when she was just a few hours old. Heaven is near with the birth of a baby and you could feel the special spirit she brought with her from the other side of the veil. After much excitement and a chance for all of them to hold Claire, Gary took the children on to school and he went home to clean up and get a much needed nap. I stayed and helped Alice-Anne which I loved. Holding that sweet bundle of joy was beyond words.

We were having beautiful, sunny weather, but the day after they came home from the hospital the weather turned dramatically, with a snowfall through the night. Emily worked for a half day, that day and then came up to see the baby, bring gifts, and help me with dinner. She was a huge blessing for me. Then she and Bronson came up on Sunday late afternoon and brought the entire meal. It was delicious and again, a big help for me.

Kenna worked with me on tying a fleece blanket for Claire. It was a fun project to do together. Elliot was delightful, talking nonstop whenever I saw him. Spencer always had some funny things to say. And they all adore Claire and smother her with endless kisses. I didn't stay as long as I would have liked, but Alice-Anne insisted I go ahead and go home as Julia & Austin were arriving Monday evening, Nov. 21st for the Thanksgiving holidays. I felt badly to leave then as Alice-Anne was feeling sick with a thrush infection and Claire was not nursing well. Later they learned that she had a tongue-tie, but even after getting that clipped, she still struggled with nursing. There are many adjustments with a newborn in the house, but also, so many blessings. It was so cute to see how tender and sweet the children were with her. Elliot slowed down long enough to hold and kiss her.

I love seeing my daughters be mothers. Alice-Anne is an amazing Mom. I don't know how she manages it all, but she does. Seeing her care and love this precious new baby was a rich and rewarding experience for me. She has trained the other three so well, that life carries on when she's busy with Claire. Kenna is a tremendous help to her. Love and happiness abounds in this home.

Crismon and I rejoice in the birth of each of the grandchildren. She makes our count 24, with 12 boys and 12 girls. It's thrilling to see our posterity grow and multiple.

















No comments: