Sunday, June 29, 2014

My Thoughts About Fasting

The Bishop remembered that I had shared my testimony about fasting before in a class, or at some time, and he asked if I would write it for him. The Bishops in the stake had been asked by their leaders to talk about fasting. He wanted permission to share some of my thoughts. This was my message I sent to him:

Thank you for this opportunity to put my testimony of fasting down on paper to record it for my family. Fasting and prayer is truly rejoicing. My testimony of fasting has grown over the years. I have seen the power of fasting manifest in the lives of others, our family, and myself.

Our children grew up knowing that Mom's favorite day of the month was Fast Sunday. They never could understand that, but I assured them that one day they would come to love it, too. I loved the sweetness of the spirit that accompanied Fast Sunday. 

It wasn’t always that way. For many years I was pregnant and nursing, which meant I couldn’t fast. I went for years without fasting. When the time came that I could fast again, I found it difficult. In time it became easier and a more joyful experience. 

Although I dealt with health issues, I found that as I fasted on Fast Sunday I felt strengthened and often I would feel my strongest and not experience the usual pain that I did on the other days of the week. 

It doesn't make sense that we take away something that gives us strength, like food, that we would feel stronger, but I would feel that strength come to me during the fast.

I have a challenge in fasting because typically if I go for three hours without eating something I can get sick to my stomach and also feel very weak. But as I fasted I could go 24 hours without food and not have that problem. 

A few years ago I found that although I loved Fast Sunday and wanted to participate, I could no longer do so as my health issues became more predominant. I had a strong desire to still fast in some way. I wanted to do something that would make me feel like I was giving up something to show my love to the Lord and feel a more humble spirit.

I decided to fast by giving up sugar, or sweets for the week prior to Fast Sunday. I found as I stayed focused on the reasons why I was fasting I didn't feel tempted to break my fast. Instead, through prayer, it gave me a greater determination to keep it a perfect fast. This was the way that I could live the law of the fast.  It has taken me a while to finally have the same feelings that I had on the regular Fast day. But now I look forward again to Fast Sunday and participating in it in a way that I feel the Lord is pleased with.

I'm grateful for the strength and power that comes through fasting and prayer. I hope that I can live my life to be a righteous daughter of God who calls on Him to bless His and "our" children.






2 comments:

Crismon Lewis said...

This is amazing, mom. Thanks for being an example to all of us of the importance of the fast. I hope I can remember to have a rejoicing attitude when I fast.

Alice-Anne said...

Love this! Thanks for sharing. You have always been a wonderful example of fasting and I think it's great you found ways to modify fasting so you can still be apart of it.