A unique opportunity that I had on Mother's Day was to speak at the Grotto in Portland. I was the main speaker at this Catholic Mass, speaking for about 7 minutes. Each year the Catholic Church honors mothers by having the "Oregon Mother of the Year" speak at the mass. I also handed the holy communion wine to the Priest, which meant I truly was part of the mass. When he presented us the communion if we chose not to have it, we were to cross our arms over our chest and he then gave us a blessing.
I was given instructions by a Pauline, a nun, who told me never to pass the altar without bowing to it. I was pretty nervous about making sure I didn't do anything to offend them. It seemed to go well for which I was grateful for. The weather cooperated, too. It was an outdoor mass and it started to sprinkle just as it ended.
Other members of the American Mothers Board and organization came to support me. They had us all sit up in front on the side. Crismon and daughter, Vivi, were there, too. Ondalynn couldn't come at the last minute as baby Paxton was running a fever and needed his Mommy.
It was wonderful to see many good people gather together singing praises to God and worshipping in the way they feel is right. Naturally, you don't feel the spirit like we feel in our meetings, but they were sincere in their devotion.
Our children who have been in the Concert Choir have performed at the Grotto, usually at Christmas time. Crismon and I attended our Sacrament Meeting first and then made it in time to meet for instructions and a light snack before the mass started.
No comments:
Post a Comment