Thursday, January 26, 2012

Grandma Esther's Paintings

As we look forward to the Lewis Reunion this summer Grandma Lewis has asked who had some of Grandma Esther's paintings. The family want to make a record of all the paintings that are out there. I gathered the paintings we had in our house, did the measurements, looked for any additional information that might be on the back. Just doing that little project made me feel a little closer to sweet Grandma Esther that I grew to love when we lived next door in the early days of our marriage. We moved into her cute little home on Portland St., next to the big green house. She was a talented artist and it's wonderful we have these reminders of her. Connecting with our ancestors warms the heart. These are the paintings we have.
30" x 24"
On the back "Crismon & Vivienne 1974"
39" x 32"
Crismon's dream of where he'd like to have a cabin,
Grandma drew his dream.
26" x 21"
On the back "Crismon from Grandma Esther Lewis, Christmas 1971"
30" x 24"

Hung in our living room for many years. Superstition Mtn.
30 x 22"
 I wanted to post this picture of one of my favorite plants. It is right on the side of my chair in the living room. I see it everyday, many times a day. But to my great surprise the other day I saw that it was drooping terribly. I had neglected it right before my eyes. All of a sudden it showed how thirsty it was for nourishment. Sometimes in our busy lives we neglect people, loved ones, or "things" that are right in front of our eyes. We are around them all the time but fail to recognize their need for some extra love and attention. I hope I can remember to nourish those I love.
I was glad I could help Vivi the last couple of days to finish cleaning her apt. that they had moved out of. She is such a hard working, busy Mom. It was a joy to work along side with her and help her finish this project. Best of all, was seeing cute Kaeley and Clark and Daisy briefly after school and Joy School was over.

3 comments:

Alice-Anne said...

those paintings bring back memories! thanks! she was very talented. loved your thought on the plant...so true!

Meredith Williams said...

I didn't know about the writing on the back! That is so cool!

J said...

The part you wrote about the plant really hit me. I was just thinking this morning about my little preschooler whom I am with all day long but often don't spend much quality time with. That little paragraph was just what I needed this morning to remind me of her. Thank you.